Walk Our Paths: St. Simons Island
On this page, you will find partial photographs and additional hints to accompany our St. Simons Island scavenger hunt. To view the full collection of complete photos and participate in the scavenger hunt, purchase Walk Our Paths: St. Simons Island here.
Engraved bricks surround this monument at the entrance to East Beach.
When James Oglethorpe first established Fort Frederica, the British, French, and Spanish all claimed possession of this territory. Although her guns were obsolete by the time of the American Revolution, they were shipped to Fort Morris in Sunbury, Georgia, once the fighting began between colonists and the British.
The two brothers memorialized by this monument arrived in the new colony of Georgia in 1735 as missionaries for the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign Parts. They hoped not only to minister to English colonists but work with local Native American tribes as well (an endeavor which proved largely unsuccessful).
David O'Hagan, the last lightkeeper on St. Simons Island, retired in 1953 when the lighthouse became fully automated.
Local lore claims that midnight visitors to the cemetery may see a flickering light above one woman's grave. Legend states that, afraid of the dark while alive, this lady kept a taper lit beside her bed every night. After her death, her husband placed a candle upon her tombstone every night thereafter.
During World War II, the U.S. Navy stationed blimps at the Glynco Airport for patrolling the Georgia coastline. Naval radar training was held at the King and Prince.
Thanks in part to the fighting of Darien's Independent Company of Highlanders, the English won their battle against the Spanish at this location. Following this victory, the Spanish retreated to St. Augustine and did not threaten Georgia or English colonization again.
The town at Fort Frederica was well-organized, laid out in 84 regularly-spaced lots with a wide Broad Street serving as the main corridor. Barracks Street bisected Broad Street and led to the regimental quarters for troops housed in the Barracks.
Repaired after the hurricane of 1897, this church building is named after the location of the founding conference of the American Methodist Church which occurred in Baltimore, Maryland in 1784.
The story is told that the individual whose name this park holds served the King Family at the Retreat Plantation in the mid-1800s. During the Civil War, he journeyed with Henry Lord Page King serving in the Confederate Army. When King was killed in 1862 at the Battle of Fredericksburg, he retrieved the body from the battlefield and returned to St. Simons Island.
After the lighthouse was damaged during the Civil War, George Cluskey was commissioned as the architect for rebuilding. Unfortunately, he died, along with many of the builders, from an outbreak of malaria in 1871 before it was completed.
From this bluff, loggers cut live oak trees that were later used to construct Old Ironsides (the U.S.S. Constitution) in 1794 and the Brooklyn Bridge in 1874.
The oysters for tabby construction on St. Simons Island came from midden or trash piles created by Native American villages inhabiting the area. The Guale were an historic tribe decimated by disease in the late 17th, early 18th century. Survivors joined remnants of other tribes to form the Yemasee.
To the south, across St. Simons Sound, lies Jekyll Island, a Georgia state park and home to the historic millionaire Jekyll Island Club.
Behind this statuary lies the tombstone of Hugh Fraser Grant, a rice planter who owned the Elizafield Plantation on the Altamaha River. He authored Planter Management and Capitalism in Antebellum Georgia.